Karpovka


The Barracks of the Grenadier Regiment

The Barracks of the Grenadier Regiment

The barracks (current address: Petrogradskaia Embankment, 44 – Karpovka Embankment) was designed by Luigi Ruska, the celebrated exponent of Classicist architecture in St. Petersburg. The massive, elongated building has two- and three-storied sections. The building was reconstructed in 1934-1939. The regiment long played a prominent role in Russian military history; Tsarina Elizaveta Petrovna granted it silver trumpets for its soldiers' heroic action during the Seven-Year War (1756-1762). The soldiers and officers of the regimen again showed bravery in the Russo-Turkish War (1877-1878), distinguishing themselves during the siege of Gornyi Dubniak in October, 1877.

 

Next: Alexander Blok - a brief biography»

«Back: Introduction